Francine McEwen

Francine McEwen is the author of Susan's Suitcase and other books.

What are your ties to Maine?

Born in Winthrop, MA (on the ocean). Father loved Maine and we went to Maine every year for our vacation (from one ocean to the other). I also went camping in Maine for many years at my sister’s campsite in Naples. Close friends of the family had a homestead in Harrison, Maine, where we spent many wonderful times. I had always wanted to live in Maine and was hired by Digital Equipment Corp. in Augusta. I happily relocated and have been here since 1977.

What is your favorite thing about writing in Maine?


The people in Maine are so wonderful and the area is peaceful, much different from the hectic pace of living and working in Boston. The calm and beauty of Maine really supports writing.

What are the most important themes in your work?
All of my writing is focused on helping children, from bullying prevention to dealing with the grieving/loss process.
       
Tell us about the book you will be signing at Books In Boothbay this year.

I will be signing my new book, Susan’s Suitcase, and my bullying book, Billy Big
Ears and Bob the Bully
.

What do you hope reader will discover in your latest book?

Susan’s Suitcase is a true story to help parents talk with their children about the grieving process, I think they will discover that love never dies, and that there are supportive ways to get through difficult times.

What have you enjoyed about attending Books in Boothbay?

I was part of the Books in Boothbay event last year, and I thought it was a very important event to focus children on reading. I loved meeting and talking with the other Maine authors, and really enjoyed meeting parents and their children.

What do you feel about the future of our local libraries?

Augusta’s Lithgow Library and the Winthrop Library are both expanding, so that’s a good sign. I believe that the events that take place at our libraries really help to get people to support those libraries. I attended an event at the Winthrop Library that featured Tess Gerritsen, and most libraries offer readings by local authors for children. As long as the libraries keep up with the technology and other media changes, I think we will be fine.

Come meet Francine McEwen and other Maine authors at Books in Boothbay on July 11!